Are you experiencing slow speeds and lagging during online gaming on your PS4? You might consider changing your DNS server to improve your gaming experience.
This comprehensive article will discuss the best DNS servers for PS4, how to change your DNS settings, and tips to optimize your PS4 network settings.
What is DNS?
DNS stands for Domain Name System. It is a system that translates domain names into IP addresses. Every website has an IP address, but it’s hard to remember. DNS makes it easy for users to access websites by typing in domain names instead of IP addresses.
Why Change DNS Servers for PS4?
Changing DNS servers can improve your PS4’s internet speed and reduce lagging during online gaming. It can also enhance online security and privacy by blocking malicious websites and ads. However, changing DNS servers may not necessarily improve your PS4 speeds as it’s a bit of a myth/placebo effect. Instead, connecting via ethernet and/or putting your PS4 into Rest mode may increase your speeds.
How to Change DNS Servers on PS4
To change DNS servers on your PS4, follow these simple steps:
- Go to “Settings” on your PS4 menu.
- Select “Network” and then “Set Up Internet Connection.”
- Choose “Wi-Fi” or “LAN,” depending on your internet connection.
- Select “Custom” and select “Automatic” for IP Address Settings.
- For DNS Settings, select “Manual.”
- Enter the primary and secondary DNS server addresses.
- Save your changes and test your internet connection to see if it works.
Best DNS Servers for PS4
Google Public DNS
Google Public DNS is a free service offering fast and reliable performance. It is one of the most popular DNS servers used by millions of users worldwide.
To set up Google Public DNS on your PS4, follow these steps:
- Primary DNS: 220.127.116.11
- Secondary DNS: 18.104.22.168
- Cloudflare DNS
Cloudflare DNS is a fast, secure, and privacy-focused service that blocks malware and phishing sites. It offers better performance than many other DNS servers and is completely free.
To set up Cloudflare DNS on your PS4, follow these steps:
- Primary DNS: 22.214.171.124
- Secondary DNS: 126.96.36.199
OpenDNS is a popular DNS service that offers parental controls, malware protection, and customizable features. It is easily set up and provides faster speeds than many other DNS servers.
To set up OpenDNS on your PS4, follow these steps:
- Primary DNS: 188.8.131.52
- Secondary DNS: 184.108.40.206
- Comodo Secure DNS
Comodo Secure DNS is a fast and secure service offering parental controls, phishing protection, and anti-malware features. It is free and easy to set up.
- To set up Comodo Secure DNS on your PS4, follow these steps: Primary DNS: 220.127.116.11
- Secondary DNS: 18.104.22.168
- AdGuard Public DNS
AdGuard Public DNS is a free, secure service blocking ads and trackers. It also offers phishing protection and parental controls.
To set up AdGuard Public DNS on your PS4, follow these steps:
- Primary DNS: 22.214.171.124
- Secondary DNS: 126.96.36.199
How to Check DNS Speed on PS4
To check your DNS speed on PS4, you can use the “Internet Connection Test” feature on your PS4. This feature displays the speed of your internet connection and the DNS server you are currently using.
Another way to check your DNS speed is by using the “dig” command in the Terminal app on your Mac or Linux computer. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Terminal on your Mac or Linux computer.
- Type in “dig @188.8.131.52 google.com” (without quotes) and press enter.
- The results will show the time it took to resolve the domain name to an IP address.
Tips to Optimize Your PS4 Network Settings
Apart from changing your DNS server, here are some tips to optimize your PS4 network settings:
- Connect your PS4 to your router using an ethernet cable. This will provide a faster and more stable connection compared to Wi-Fi.
- Place your router near your PS4 or use a Wi-Fi extender if you cannot connect via ethernet.
- Enable Quality of Service (QoS) on your router to prioritize gaming traffic.
- Put your PS4 in Rest mode when not in use to allow for automatic downloads and updates.
- Disable other devices that are using the same network to reduce interference.
In conclusion, changing your DNS server can improve your PS4’s internet speed and reduce lagging during online gaming. There are several DNS servers, including Google Public DNS, Cloudflare DNS, OpenDNS, Comodo Secure DNS, and AdGuard Public DNS.
However, changing DNS servers may not necessarily improve your PS4 speeds as it’s a bit of a myth/placebo effect. Instead, connecting via ethernet and/or putting your PS4 into Rest mode may increase your speeds.
Additionally, optimizing your PS4 network settings can further enhance your gaming experience. By following the steps outlined in this article, you should be able to choose and set up the best DNS server for your PS4.
Consider server location, latency, and security factors when choosing a DNS server. With the correct DNS server and network settings, you can enjoy a smoother and more enjoyable online gaming experience on your PS4.
Do you have any other tips for optimizing network settings on PS4 or improving internet speeds for online gaming? Let us know in the comments section below!